Education/ Administrative Coordinator (Part-Time)
10 – 15 hours/ week, some telecommuting allowed.
Then Comes Baby is an Oakland-based community center supporting expectant and new parents from pregnancy through preschool. To put it simply, our mission is reflected through our daily activities: We are here to support strong families, empower parents, and foster community connections. We do so through many pathways: health education, early childhood development classes, wellness services, and a variety of new parent support services. We opened our brick-and-mortar doors in January 2015 and in a short time we have created a thriving community center for new parents — but to help us fulfill our goals, we need more hands on deck!
The Education/ Administrative Coordinator will play an important role in the day-to-day operation of our center. This is a role for someone who has the passion and heart to support families through their journey from pregnancy through preschool and a strong commitment to thoughtful, anticipatory customer service. Finally, the Coordinator also has a business-focused role to help continue the growth of our services and engage in community-relations and outreach.
Customer service is key. The Coordinator will ensure that our clients are consistently provided a top-notch customer service experience. We want people to walk into our Center and feel the heart and ‘vibe’ that so many of our clients do. To quote a recent client who came into our center “This place is special. I’ve never been here and yet I feel right at home. What other services do you offer?” This isn’t by accident, and we strive to go the extra mile to take good care of families while they are with us.
The Coordinator has the responsibility to ensure that and that operations run efficiently, smoothly, and to help us continue to grow into a sustainable long-term community center. The role has direct and routine interaction with with clients, community professionals, and the center Director and works closely with and reports to the Director. Clear communication and excellent organization, and planning skills are key, along with the ability to anticipate common needs of families, instructors, and the Director.
This is a 10 – 15 hour per week part-time role — likely up to 20 hours a week during the training phase — with potential to grow into more career opportunity and increased responsibility in our Education programs.
This role will work routinely with various technologies that are key for running a small business, such as our scheduling & merchant account software, our website content management system, and other software for basic graphic design and photo editing. Training on each will be provided, but it is key that the Education/ Administrative Coordinator feels comfortable learning these technologies.
We will need in-center availability for some early evenings and likely one weekend morning/early afternoon per week to check clients into their classes and perform basic facility maintenance. Some other aspects of this role can be completed through telecommuting.
Duties and Tasks
This role includes key functions of our day-to-day operations
- Answer phone calls and emails, responding warmly and professionally to customer inquiries. Be an expert understanding of our services, and how they may be relevant for the client.
- Assist with class and service coordination from scheduling to preparation and follow-up.
- Assist with promotion of classes and services
- Assist with scheduling and follow-up for lactation consultations and massage therapy services
- Manage the breast pump rental program (rent out / accept the return of breast pumps and other retail operations)
- Basic facility maintenance, such as cleaning dishes, sweeping, watering plants, tidying up center and bathroom, and emptying the recycling / landfill / compost
- Assist with maintenance of the Front Desk Software Program
- Assist with the maintenance of the Then Comes Baby website
- Other duties as assigned, such as assisting with education coordination and community outreach
To apply, please email sabrina (at) then-comes-baby.com with a current one-to-two page resume and one-page cover letter answering the following three questions. We will only consider your application if you specifically answer these questions. Please do not call about job openings; just email.
- What special talents could you bring to the team that are important for this role?
- How can you imagine helping our community center grow?
- Where did your learn/ practice your ‘customer service’ skills? For you, what are the most important aspects of an excellent customer service experience — they kind you want to tell your friends about — and what makes an experience ‘just okay’?