At Then Comes Baby we are mindful that our actions can have impacts — big and small — on our environment and community. We act with our families and yours in mind, following the “7th generation” principle: in every decision, we must consider how it will affect our children, their children,, and the generation two centuries from now. That’s why being “Green” is a top priority and why we went to extra mile to become a certified Bay Area Green Business.
As a brick-and-mortar Community Center, Then Comes Baby is naturally a moderate consumer of environmental resources. So our sustainability efforts include:
- Using Bay Area or California products (when fitting) — supporting great local businesses and reducing shipment travel and CO2 footprint.
- HR practices — telecommuting when work can be done off-site to save gas and reduce clogging the roads
- Practicing e-business as much as possible to minimize paper and ink usage (and all of the travel and production impact associated with it)
- Planted native plants in our patio area and installed a drip irrigation system
- Purchase paper goods with high levels of post-consumer waste used
- Low energy appliances
- Using less toxic and only biodegradable cleaning products
- Using only natural ingredients in our massage lotions or oils
- Low VOC paints — so we can all breathe easier
- Recycling & composting
- Reducing the usage of disposable cups — and avoiding the use of plastic cups
- Buying only recycled-content paper
- Copying double-sided class materials
- Using efficient lighting systems
- Installing motion sensors for lights for our patio and front door.
If you have any suggestions of some other “low-hanging” fruit that will help us create a lighter footprint, we would love to hear it. Just go to the form on our Contact page and write “Green Living” in the subject line.